42nd Annual Bosque County Hay Show & Scholarship Fundraiser
The Bosque County Hay Show has provided over $217,850 in scholarships to 366 youth in our area.
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office – Bosque County will be collecting hay samples for the 42nd Annual Bosque County Hay Show & Scholarship Fundraiser. If you are interested in submitting hay samples into this year’s contest, entries maybe dropped off at the Bosque County Extension Office (located at 104 S Fuller in Meridian) between 8AM and 10AM on Friday, September 18, 2020. Sampling will close on September 18, but you may also drop samples off early at the Extension Office. Samples will be taken from the conventional bales and/or round bales on the 18th so that the protein analysis can be made. Cost is $10 per bale. Only hay grown in Bosque County and/or adjoining counties will be eligible for the show and awards. This year we will not have the live educational portion. Results and awards will be posted online at https://bosque.agrilife.org/ in mid-October and mailed to participants. The Hay Show Committee is also collecting donations for their annual Bosque County Hay Show and Scholarship fundraiser. If you are interested in contributing towards this, please go to contact Chelsea Dorward at 254-435-2331 or email@example.com.
2020 GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- ***There will be a $10.00 entry fee per sample entered. Every entry must be paid in full at the time of entry or will not go into the Hay Show or be processed for analysis. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Both conventional and round bales are eligible
- ****Each bale must be tagged with owner’s name, address, type of hay and if grown within Bosque County. Only hay grown and baled within Bosque County and/or adjoining counties will be eligible for the Hay Show competition. (Hay grown outside of Bosque, Erath, Somervell, Hamilton, Coryell, McLennan, Hill & Johnson Counties may enter samples for analysis, but are not eligible for the Hay Show thus will not be judged for competition.)
- Entries must be submitted in the form of a square bale, a sample from a square bale or a sample from a round bale.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the only location for drop-off of samples will be the Bosque County Extension Office, located at 104 S Fuller in Meridian. School Vo-Ag Shops will NOT be drop locations. Collection Event will be at the Bosque County Extension Office between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on Friday, September 18, 2020.
- No entries will be accepted after 10:00 a.m. on Friday, September 18, 2020.
- Hay will be judged according to maturity, texture, leafiness, foreign material, color, and chemical analysis.
- A class champion and reserve class champion sample will be named from each class. An overall grand champion and reserve champion sample will be named for the show.
- Classes are as follows: Sorghum, Coastal Bermudagrass, Improved Bermudagrass, Kleingrass, Small Grains, Legumes, and Native & Others.
*** New/Updated Rule 8/10/2020
2020 HAY SHOW RESULTS
Bale#205 Sudan (Sorghum)
Trinity Performance Ranch, LLC-
Bale#408 Small Grains
Bale#502 Native & Other
Bale#701 Improved Bermuda
Class Reserve Champions
Bar G Ranch-
Bale#405 Small Grains
Bale#501 Native & Other
Bale#700 Improved Bermuda
Overall Grand Champion Bale
Phillip Munden Bale#701 Improved Bermuda
Reserve Overall Grand Champion Bale
Cory Viertel Bale#205 Sudan
For more of the 2020 Hay Show results visit:
If you have any questions feel free to reach out to Chelsea Dorward at the Extension Office 254-435-2331
If you would like to make a donation to the Bosque County Hay Show Scholarships please contact a committee member or call the Extension Office at 254-435-2331, donations accepted through December 31, 2020 for current scholarship awards.