39th Annual Bosque County Hay Show & Scholarship Auction
The Bosque County Hay Show has provided over $187,100 in scholarships to 313 youth in our area.
This year’s Hay Show and Scholarship Auction will be held on October 16th, 2017. We will kick off the event at 5:30pm at the Bosque Bottoms Pavilion in Meridian, Texas with a BBQ dinner sponsored by the Bosque County “Go-Texan” Committee. For those entering the Hay Show, with your $10 Hay Show entry fee you are eligible for two (2) complimentary meal tickets. These tickets will no longer be mailed to you; you will simply pick them up at the Hay Show’s registration table. Additional tickets will be available to purchase for $10 each at the event.
To change things up, this year the event will start with the meal at 5:30pm followed at 5:45pm by the Kenneth Schrank Memorial Scholarship Auction and the education program at 6:15pm.
This year’s guest speaker will be James Jackson speaking on “Understanding Weed Management and New Product Update.” One Laws and Regulations (LR) CEU will be offered for those with a pesticide applicator’s license.
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. There will be a $10.00 entry fee, with no limit on number bales entered, from each farm. Every entry must be paid in full at the time of entry or will not go into the Hay Show or be processed for analysis. NO EXCEPTIONS.
2. Both conventional and round bales are eligible.
3. Each bale must be tagged with owner’s name, address and type of hay and if grown within Bosque County. Only hay grown and baled within Bosque County will be eligible for the Hay Show. (Hay grown out of Bosque County may enter samples for analysis, but are not eligible for the Hay Show thus will not be judged.)
4. Envelopes for samples and tags for hay will be made available. Hay may be left with Vocational Agriculture Instructors in Meridian, Clifton, Walnut Springs, Cranfills Gap, Iredell and Valley Mills. Producers wishing to enter round bales in the show are asked to obtain a hay probe for acquiring the sample at one of the following locations:
- Valley Mills ISD Vo-Ag Shop – Logan Boswell – Valley Mills
- Clifton ISD Vo-Ag Shop – Jason Whitney & TaLisa Ferguson – Clifton
- Bosque County Farm Bureau –Clifton
- Cranfills Gap ISD Vo-Ag Shop – Jim Bob Webb
- Natural Resources Conservation Service – Meridian
- Bosque County Extension Service – Meridian
- Iredell ISD Vo-Ag Shop – Bradley Fletcher
- Walnut Springs ISD Vo-Ag Shop – Tommy Webb
5. Entries must be submitted in the form of a square bale, a sample from a square bale or a sample from a round bale.
6. Entries must be taken to Vo-Ag Shops in Valley Mills, Meridian, Clifton, Walnut Springs, Iredell or to the Extension Office by Thursday, September 14th OR brought to Hay Show sampling location at the Cranfills Gap Vo-Ag Shop between 9:00 a.m. and noon on Friday, September 15, 2017.
7. No entries will be accepted after September 15, 2017.
8. Hay will be judged according to maturity, texture, leafiness, foreign material, color, and chemical analysis.
9. A champion and reserve bale will be named from each class. An overall grand champion and reserve champion bale will be named for the show. Only the Overall and Reserve Overall bales will sell at the Scholarship Auction.
10. Classes are as follows: Sorghum, Coastal Bermudagrass, Improved Bermudagrass, Kleingrass, Small Grains, Legumes, and Native & Others.
11. Two complimentary tickets will be available to each paid Hay Show entrant and to each sponsor/donor. Tickets will be available at the registration table the night of the Hay Show & Scholarship Auction – they will not be mailed out. Extra tickets will be available to purchase for $10 each.
If you would like to make a donation to the Bosque County Hay Show Scholarships please complete the form below and we will send you an invoice.
If you have any questions feel free to reach out to Chelsea Dorward at the Extension Office 254-435-2331