43rd Annual Bosque County Hay Show & Scholarship Fundraiser
The Bosque County Hay Show has provided over $217,850 in scholarships to 366 youth in our area.
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office – Bosque County will be collecting hay samples for the 43rd Annual Bosque County Hay Show & Scholarship Fundraiser. If you are interested in submitting hay samples into this year’s contest, entries maybe dropped off at the Bosque County Extension Office (located at 104 S Fuller in Meridian) between 8:30AM and 11AM on Friday, September 17, 2021. Sampling will close on September 17, but you may also drop samples off early at the Extension Office or by 3pm on Thursday, September 16 to your local Bosque County Vo-Ag Teachers. Samples will be taken from the conventional bales and/or round bales on the 17th so that the protein analysis can be made. Cost is $10 for first bale, $5 for each additional bale per participant. Only hay grown in Bosque County and/or adjoining counties will be eligible for the show and awards. This year’s Scholarship Auction and Educational Program will be held on Monday, October 18, 2021, at the Meridian Civic Center starting at 5:30PM. The Hay Show Committee is also collecting donations for their annual Bosque County Hay Show and Scholarship fundraiser. If you are interested in contributing towards this, please go to contact Chelsea Dorward at 254-435-2331 or email@example.com.
This year’s Program, Awards and Auction will be Monday, October 18 at the Meridian Civic Center. Tyler Mays, TAMU will speak on Insects, parasites and diseases. One IPM CEU will be provided.
2021 GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- ***There will be a $10.00 entry for first submission per participant, additional entries will be $5.00/each. Every entry must be paid in full at the time of entry or will not go into the Hay Show or be processed for analysis. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Both conventional and round bales are eligible.
- ***Each bale must be tagged with owner’s name, address, type of hay and if grown within Bosque County. Only hay grown and baled within Bosque County and/or adjoining counties will be eligible for the Hay Show competition. (Hay grown outside of Bosque, Erath, Somervell, Hamilton, Coryell, McLennan, Hill & Johnson Counties may enter samples for analysis, but are not eligible for the Hay Show and thus will not be judged for competition.)
- Entries must be submitted in the form of a square bale, a sample from a square bale or a sample from a round bale.
- Collection Event will be at the Bosque County Extension Office between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Friday, September 17, 2021. Hay may be left with Vocational Agriculture Instructors in Meridian, Clifton, Walnut Springs, Cranfills Gap, Iredell and Valley Mills before 3pm on Thursday, September 16, 2021. Producers wishing to enter round bales in the show are asked to obtain a hay probe for acquiring the sample at one of the following locations.
- No entries will be accepted after 11:00 a.m. on Friday, September 17, 2021.
- Hay will be judged according to maturity, texture, leafiness, foreign material, color, and chemical analysis.
- A class champion and reserve class champion sample will be named from each class. An overall grand champion and reserve champion sample will be named for the show.
- Classes are as follows: Sorghum, Coastal Bermudagrass, Improved Bermudagrass, Kleingrass, Small Grains, Legumes, and Native & Others
*** New/Updated Rule 8/24/2021
If you have any questions feel free to reach out to Chelsea Dorward at the Extension Office 254-435-2331
If you would like to make a donation to the Bosque County Hay Show Scholarships please contact a committee member or call the Extension Office at 254-435-2331, donations accepted through December 31, 2021 for current scholarship awards.