The holiday season is here! The festive Christmas decorations are going up around town, and I’m already counting down the days until Christmas.
The holidays are a great time of year, but did you know that many Americans gain between one and five pounds each holiday season? The time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day is not good on the waistline! While it may not sound like very much weight, most people never manage to lose the extra holiday pounds.
This year, try these tips to maintain your weight through the holidays (or maybe try to lose a pound or two).
- Eat a healthy snack before heading out to a holiday party so you’ll be less inclined to fill up on foods high in sugar or fat. A hungry stomach can sabotage even the strongest of willpower!
- Make one trip through the buffet line, and only choose foods that you really want to eat.
- Keep your portions small at home, parties or restaurants. Try using a smaller plate or split an entrée with a friend.
- Don’t graze at the food table at a party. This is a quick way to fill up on high-calorie foods.
- Remember to exercise during the holidays! Take a walk around the block with friends after a big meal.
- Enjoy the holidays and sweet treats in moderation. Have fun and don’t feel too frustrated if you slip up. Keep your goals in mind and get back on track!